seed starting

Old 04-17-00, 07:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Has anyone had experience with seed starting & using Peat Pellets? I don't seem to be having the best of luck with the pellets. the seeds don't come up, or the pellets turns green & mossy like. I have a greenhouse with a oil type heater. I am thinking that I need to use a fan to move the air around. Some seeds are just sitting there with no thoughts of sprouting. I also have been useing the covered seed trays. What have you had success with?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-00, 06:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Why dont you post back at this thread and let us know what plants you are trieng to grow.If you are new to seedlings,some are much easier to do than others.The racks of seeds at the store you buy from are impressive but fully 3/4 have very special conditions that have to be met.Some require light to germinate,some uncovered in the dark,some covered in the warmth of the sun.Some have to overwinter in the elements to germinate and some are so small and delicate that only full time attention will succeed.On the subject of peet pellets your money is best spent on a good planting mixture with seeds sown into anything that will hold dirt and drain.Remember to aclimate seedlings to sun or shade as soon as possible after frost(if any)has past.For sure success try:colius,periwinkle(plant in garden after June)moss roses,celosia,zinnias,marigolds.