Railroad ties and plants

Old 06-12-00, 10:00 PM
dhunt36033
Visiting Guest
Question

Hi there, I hope someone can tell me this. We just had to put in a retaining wall with railroad ties, which is in the front of our house and not very atractive, everybody who drives by can see it. We want to plant somekind of plants that will drape over them so it will look somewhat better, and needed to know if anyone could tell me if plants will be able to survive from the creasode on the ties and if so what kinds? I have gone to a couple nursery's and they don't know, they said that is why most people use them, to keep things off them. I don't really want to keep buying to see if their going to die or not. That could be very time consuming.
Thank You.
By the way we are living in zone 7

Old 06-26-00, 05:02 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by dhunt36033:
Hi there, I hope someone can tell me this. We just had to put in a retaining wall with railroad ties, which is in the front of our house and not very atractive, everybody who drives by can see it. We want to plant somekind of plants that will drape over them so it will look somewhat better, and needed to know if anyone could tell me if plants will be able to survive from the creasode on the ties and if so what kinds? I have gone to a couple nursery's and they don't know, they said that is why most people use them, to keep things off them. I don't really want to keep buying to see if their going to die or not. That could be very time consuming.
Thank You.
By the way we are living in zone 7
<HR>

We had the same situation, and we have found two plants that seem to be unaffected by the creosote in railroad ties. The creeping junipers do well, and will drape nicely over the face of the ties, but they grow slowly. If you want sometheing that will cover thst area quickly, try crown vetch-but beware, it can take over a very large area quickly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: