pear tree pruning

Old 06-27-00, 04:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I just bought a house that has two pear trees. I don't know how to take care of them. They look to be very healthy with a lot of fruit already growing. They seem to be a bit tall. Can I just chop off the top and some of the branches? Should I do that now or after the fruit is ripe? Any other advise would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-01-00, 09:23 PM
Visiting Guest
I have apple trees that are about 3years old
I have not trimmed them and the branches are
growing wild. i had a lot of buds on the tree which I cut off because I was told the roots needed at least one more year.I don't
know if I did the right thing, I also have pear,and peach trees. When should I trim them
my pear trees are growing straight up.

Old 07-04-00, 03:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Check with your local extension office for correct cultural instructions. NOTE: Pear tree's natural growth habit is up-right. Do your pruning during dormant season but please do your homework before you prune - that way you can enjoy your trees and your trees will enjoy having you own them. P.S. If you have any commercial growers in the area be sure that you a scrupulous about your insect and disease control program (chemical or organic, your choice). Home fruit trees are a nightmare for a commercial grower because they are so seldom properly cared for. Best of luck - an orchardist's daughter!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: