Snakes

Old 05-01-00, 06:49 AM
Visiting Guest
Red face

I have Garden snakes hanging around my property and they're scaring my wife and kids to the point they won't go outside anymore. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them, or at least keep them off of my property.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-00, 08:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Gutpicker, we must have married sisters!
On the wknd, my wife insisted on walking in the bush, 'cause she saw two snakes on the road. Both with tread imprints. I've had not much luck convincing her that the snakes eat the mice, and the Herons and Owls eat the snakes, however she understands that the big bad coyotes, eat the fluffy bunnies, that eat her garden. Apparently the eco-system isn't selective enough. Time, adaptation, and education is what I'm counting on

Old 05-01-00, 11:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I married the third sister! No amount of 32 years of "education" about how 9 out of 10 snakes that you see are harmless and beneficial, etc., etc. matters. She wants them gone. We live in Coastal area of North Carolina (LOTS of snakes), and I just capture and release the harmless ones and zap the bad guys. Don't know of any way to keep them away. All they're doing is looking for something to eat (insects, mice, frogs, etc.). Garden snakes are completely harmless.My wife is in more danger of harming herself trying to get away from one, then she is from the snake. LOL

Old 05-01-00, 02:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Snakes will eat many garden pests and would like to avoid you as much as your respective spouces would like to avoid them. But if you would like to keep the domestic tranquility, you can take powdered lime, powderred sulfur and/or mothballs and spread them out in the areas that you want to keep the snakes out of. There are commercial products that repell snakes. I took a look at Snake Away at the garden center the other day and it contained napthalene and sulfur - Napthalene is the active ingrediant in mothballs.

Old 05-22-00, 05:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gutpicker:
I have Garden snakes hanging around my property and they're scaring my wife and kids to the point they won't go outside anymore. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them, or at least keep them off of my property.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have also had a problem with garden snakes on my property. I sprinkled rock salt around the areas that we seen the snakes most often, it seemed to have worked,but now we have a major problem with moles. It is a trade off, good luck!

Old 07-04-00, 04:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

I just couldn't resist this. I must be the black sheep of the family. This little lady lives in rattlesnake country. Those hummers can be dispatched with haste. The bull snakes, racers, etc. get a pass so they can get the rodents that my cat doesn't catch. Your females are being just a little too female as in "eeek - a mouse". Around here it's see a mouse look for a snake or cat to eliminate it. Ain't nature wonderful? In case your wives are wondering - yes I'm all girl - just practical!

Old 07-15-00, 04:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Hello,
I have the answer to you prayers. Barn cats. My old house, rural, before the barn cats came was littered with snakes, rabbits, squirrels, moles, mice, voles and other things. Those barn cats killed everything. One of the drawbacks with the cats is they tended to leave "Presents" on the front porch in front of the door. The worst of these "presents" was a rather large copperhead that one of them had killed and set under the front door, which scared the bejesus out of me, in my bare feet going out to get my paper. Well, you get the picture. Good luck with those snakes. There are some things on the market that are supposed to run them off, but for the life of me i cant remember the name. It was a spray that one sprayed on the lawn and garden.