Question about growing corn

Old 07-19-00, 09:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am new to gardening-only three years and this year I planted some way out things in my tiny garden for the fun of it.

I have 9 nice corn stalks that are now "sprouting"??? at the top. Do I need to do anything with these to produce actual corn?

Pitiful I know, but my question for real...

Old 07-20-00, 06:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Reasonable question - welcome to gardening. The answer is the corn is tasseling. It will form long upright to drooping fronds that are the pollen bearing part of the plant.As the plant matures it will begin to form the ears which will stick out at an upward angle from the middle of the stalk. Each stalk produces 1 - 4 ears, depending on variety, per stalk. At the right time in the ear's development the tassels will form pollen which then drops to the ears below and sticks to the "silk".

The ear produces what is called silk. You are used to seeing the dried remains of it as you prepare an ear of corn for cooking. At its prime it is satiny looking and slightly sticky. The pollen lands on this, pollinates the ear, and this allows the corn kernels to grow and mature into an edible ear of corn.

Corn is wind pollinated. If you have trouble getting at least one ear of corn per stalk make sure that you plant in a grouping. Do not string your plants out in a long row. That's about it for here. For more information about what, when, and how to do it for vegies or flowers I would suggest you go to the library and check out the books by James U. Crockett - "Victory Garden" and "Crockett's Flower Garden". These are great for beginners and not-so-beginner alike. Have fun- a retired commercial grower

Old 07-21-00, 06:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

I should have also mentioned. While you are at the library getting the two Crockett books also get a copy of SQUARE FOOT GARDENING by Mel Bartholomew. You mentioned you have a tiny garden. You absolutely won't believe what that man can raise in a 4' x 4' area - with that book so can you! Between those three books you should have all the information you'll need to really have fun in your small space garden.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: