Tomato Plants

Old 07-03-00, 08:16 PM
Visiting Guest
I have 5 tomato plants glowing....3 are producing nice tomatos and lots flowers.
2 of them are very large, Very green and healty, No bugs, leaves not curling or yellow but no flowers??????????? I feed then with mirical grow every week. I'm in Florida....whats up???

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-00, 02:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

You didn't say if all plants are same variety. Could be difference in type if plants are different variety from the ones that are now producing. Other thought is over fertilization with nitrogen. Nitrogen produces plant and leaf growth but does not kick production - all plant, no fruit! If all plants are same variety and all are getting same care try stressing the two plants that are not producing by withholding fertilization and easing up on watering those two if possible. Don't kill them, just make them work for it a little. If they do go down what have you lost? They are not fruiting anyway. Worth a try. Best of luck - retired commercial grower.

Old 07-22-00, 06:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I want to know why my tomato plants seem to be dying from the bottom up? The bottom leaves are turning brown and falling off. I live in Northeastern Pennsylvania. This Spring and early Summer have been rainy. Could this cause the problem?

Old 07-22-00, 08:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Hi - There are several things that can cause this including the weather. Are the plants producing fruit? If so is the developing fruit unaffected and does it appear to be normal? Is the stem of the plant normal? Do the leaves of the plant simply start drying up and then fall or do they show markings first then dry and fall.

One thing comes to mind - fusarium wilt. It is a general overall wilting of the plant which begins with yellowing and death of the leaves from the base upward. This does not generally evidence itself, however, until fruit begins to mature. Wilt is controlled by growing plants on clean soil by rotating locations of tomato crops i.e. not growing tomatoes or their relatives in the same spot each year. I prefer a 4 year rotation. This disease can also be entirely avoided by buying resistant varieties. These days most varieties, but not all, are fusarium wilt resistant so best check your variety. Check the label, seed package for the variety , or a seed catalog (Burpee or Parks). These will list if the variety you are buying is fusarium wilt resistant. The re-introduction and enthusiasm for growing heirloom varieties means we are once again growing tomatoes that are not wilt resistant. The pay-off is "boy, do they taste good". Do a 4-year rotation for all heirloom varieties.

Having said the above, fusarium wilt is only one of the things it could be. Without actually seeing the plants it is really hard to diagnose the problem. Your best bet is to contact your local county extension agent. You will find them in the government section of your phone book under county. You can also talk to a local nursery (not a discounter or big box store). Most quality nurseries that sell vegetable starts will have someone on hand who is knowledgeable.

Old 07-23-00, 06:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Thanks for the info. Will check with my county extension about the tomato plants. However, I have another question concerning tulip and hyacinth bulbs. When I store them, do I remove the dirt from all and the roots from the hyacinth bulbs?