green stuff

Old 08-01-00, 02:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

I have a small brook running through my yard. Each week I must fire up the weed wacker and trim about 200ft of grass along the stream edges. Very tedious. I can't use the lawnmower without falling into the brook. Is there some green vegetation that will grow in such an environment bur remain short. I don't want to cut it and I don't want it to take over my lawn. But, I want it green so it blends with the lawn.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-00, 07:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

From your description I have a feeling that a non-blooming needled or broad-leaved (if your climate will allow it) evergreen groundcover - mat type - would be your best bet. I have one here in my yard that does not exceed 3"-5" in height, is well-behaved and requires no attention from me. Can't ask for more. In fact, I have one area I actually mow over at 2-1/2" and it just got all the lovelier.

It will do you no good for me to name varieties that are not available in your area. I would suggest that you go to your local nursery (not discount or big box store) and tell them your situation and what you are looking for. They can suggest varieties that will work, will thrive in your climate, and that are readily available to you. They can also advise you on the required care and feeding (look for minimum requirements).

Hope this helps. Trimming that bank has just got to be a weekly pain. Best - a retired commercial grower.