Brick garden

Old 07-27-00, 03:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Arrow

I have a concrete patio that I would like to turn into a garden. Can I lay bricks over the concrete or must I remove the concrete first?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-00, 07:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Need some more information. Are you wanting to create planting beds with patio area also or one large planting bed? Planting beds with a patio area would be really nice.

On the assumption that you are wanting to create planting beds; yes, brick can be used on top of the concrete. You will need at least 10"-12" of soil preferably 15"-18". You will need to allow for some method of drainage. 2"-3" perforated plastic pipe will do or you can use plain plastic pipe and a 1/4" to 3/8" drill bit to put your own holes in it. Put landscape fabric over it to keep the soil from filtering in and blocking it. I'd put some gravel around that (about 2" top and sides to help keep soil out. You will need to extend the plastic pipe out to the edge, between bricks, so the excess water can exit the bed. Use a good planting soil not just dirt. To make my own I mix 1 part vermiculite, 1 part peat moss, 1 part steer manure, and 2 parts dirt. (There are more formulations for how to mix soil than there are gardeners. Just find one you like.) Add a balanced slow release fertilizer (5-10-10 or 10-10-10) per instructions per 100 sq. ft. of bed surface. and plant away.

The planting beds will try to dry out faster on the sunny side. This would be a great place for plants that trail down over the outside. They will not only add character but also shade the outside of the bed.

This could be a lovely feature when completed and a great place to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee with the morning paper. Have fun - a retired commercial grower.

Old 08-05-00, 07:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

I just hate boo-boos - especially when I make them. NOTE: It should have read put drainage pipe down, then gravel, then landscape fabric, then add soil. Hope you catch this correction.