beginner gardening

Old 08-13-00, 09:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have never had a garden before. I finally have a yard and I am looking for the following advice: What can I plant in Burbank Ca. which is zone 9, Can I have vegetables as well as beautifu/interesting plants or flowers? I am on a tight budget and I need to know what tools are absolute neccessities. And I need to figure out how to spell neccessities. I would appreciate any and all help! Thank you.

Old 08-14-00, 03:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Welcome to gardening! Flowers, vegies, interesting plants are all possible.
Step 1: To save money go to your local library and get books by Barbara Damrosch - The Garden Primer (basic down to earth how to), James U. Crockett (ditto), and Western Landscaping by Sunset Books, Inc. Also, check out any others that catch your eye. Take a weekend and go on a reading/dreaming binge.

Step 2: Visit and make friends with a plant nursery or two near you (not a big box store nursery). See what they have & make sure they're healthy plants. Ask questions about soil prep, fertilizers, etc. for your area. You're not buying, you're looking. Write down any plants you REALLY want.

Step 3: Keep it small at first. Refer to the books you've checked out. Remember the plants you just have to have (if it's 20 then get 2 and learn to care for them). Plan your space. Buy small plants 'not in bloom' - less transplant shock & cost. Follow planting instructions from the nursery.

Tools: Few are really needed. Hand trowel, shovel, rake, hoe. Do trowel & hoe first - can do double duty for a shovel & rake. I'm always reaching for my spading fork so you might want this on your 'later' list. There are some really expensive tools out there but you don't need them if you're not moving rocks. Go real slow on the tool getting!

Have fun - how exciting to begin a journey! I've been at it 50 yrs. now and still love it. Hope you do too!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: