Old Fashion Garden

Old 08-13-00, 10:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Have a new 5'chain link fence in and already transplanted Hollyhocks for the back but what other types of prenninals would accent an old fashioned look? Plan to put Snapdragons in front in the Spring but I do want various plants that will bloom from Spring to Fall. Any suggestions? Working with 3' 1/2 width. Also want privacy.

Old 08-14-00, 04:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Oh man - don't have enough room here-I love perennials. The list is endless. Delphiniums, foxglove, dianthus, Lady's Mantle, phlox (particularly Carolina phlox 'Miss Lingard'). Two suggestions for a real cheater way and great plant selections. Go to your local library and check out the following:

- Book by Barbara Damrosch "Theme Gardens"
- Book by James Underwood Crockett "Crockett's Victory Garden" pp.206-209

Both of these have bed layouts, drawings, plant lists (name, variety, color, bloom progression, etc) and it's all done for you. Just mix & match for what you already have or want to have. If your library doesn't have request they get it through inter-library loan. These are two of my favorites. Plus, Crockett's Flower Garden, Damrosch 'Garden Primer'.

Between the Victory Garden, Flower Garden, Theme Gardens, and Garden Primer books you'll have all the planning, ideas, cultural info, etc. that you'll need. Have fun - Ladybug

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: