Damage to Japanese Maple

Old 07-21-00, 12:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I planted a Japanese Maple in my yard this spring, and it was doing great until I hit it with a string trimmer. In about 1 second it stripped off a 1 inch strip all the way around the trunk about 6 inches up from the ground. I thought it might die, but it seems to be hanging in there.

Is there anything I can smear/wrap around the wounded area to help the tree heal?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-00, 09:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Sounds like a bad case of "string trimmer disease". Don't feel alone, I used to see cases of this every year.

I would let the wound heal on its own. Wound paint used to be recommended for pruning cuts but then it was discovered that coating the wound trapped bacteria under the coating and actually caused more problems than it solved. Just keep an eye on the tree, clean out the ground for at least 1' around the base of the tree by hand, keep the tree watered, and hope for the best. Good luck - a retired commercial grower

Old 08-17-00, 07:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PaulW:
I planted a Japanese Maple in my yard this spring, and it was doing great until I hit it with a string trimmer. In about 1 second it stripped off a 1 inch strip all the way around the trunk about 6 inches up from the ground. I thought it might die, but it seems to be hanging in there.

Is there anything I can smear/wrap around the wounded area to help the tree heal?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
such a coincidence, I came online just to ask the same question that you did.
I also planted a j-maple this past spring and damaged it with weed wacker. So far the tree seems to be OK but the damaged area hasn't changed, still raw and the bark above the damaged area is splitting in an upward direction. I was hoping that there was something that I could do to protect it.
Let me know how you make out!