Starting seed, do I have a problem?

Old 03-22-05, 03:13 PM
Starting seed, do I have a problem?

Hello. I have been planting seed for a long time, but never really noticed or was worried about germination until NOW.
Because I am growing a few varieties that I don't normally grow I decided to get a couple of those plastic dome kits sold in Wall Mart for a few bucks and do it right!! The kit "Peat Pellet Greenhouse 36". Meaning it uses peat pellets and there are 36 pellets!
Very simple instructions!!
I started some Tomato, Corno De Toro pepper, Green Bell pepper on 16 March, this is the 22 march (7days). Only two Corno de toro peppers have sprouted (about 1.5 inches). This just seems like a long time for only two out of 36!! however I have never paid any attention before (no problem).
Question; Am i being paranoid (7 days) or should i go back to the way i used to do it??
Changeling

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-05, 05:48 PM
Do the instructions on the seed packets lead you to believe that the seeds should have sprouted by now? If so, replace them and start a fresh batch.

Old 03-29-05, 09:44 AM
putzing
Visiting Guest
Seedling germination has 2 big factors in it: water available, and temperature. Seeds will sprout better if you soak them for 8-12 hours before planting. Then make sure the soil is kept moist, not wet. You don't want it to be muddy. The seed needs lots of moisture to make it "wake up" and soften the seed shell. It also needs warm temperatures during the day. So if you turn your heat down during the day when you're at work, it may note be warm enough for the seeds. Put a thermometer INSIDE the little greenhouse, wait 10 minutes, and check the temp. It should be at least 73 degrees F. Nights can be cooler, down to 65 dF.

Old 03-29-05, 04:12 PM
Happy I did it
Visiting Guest
Gentle bottom heat?

Since my Coro Del Toros came up in 3 to 5 days & the seed is 3 years old I was wondering if you were using any heating cables. I have used heating cables for as long as I can remember.

http://www.backyardgardener.com/gree...seed_tips.html
Covers things like bottom heat, pre soaking the seed, air flow etc.
My Green house has 1 Lowes standing oil filled heater electric with 1 8" clamp on fan set low to keep the house milder when it's real cold at night. I also have one of the 40 gallon compost barrel on rollers in the house that stays warm as it works.

If when your done with the heating cables plug it in for 30 seconds after you remove it from under your trays. Take warm water & wash off your unpluged cable let sun dry & store it or them in 1 & 2 gallon baggies. Wind it up in large gentle loops plug back in for 30 seconds if it is hard & kinky it should be limp then harden for storage.

Heating cables 50 foot long was not cheap but it's 11 years old & working fine. Fifty feet & a 3 shelf bleacher style bench made to fit the bench gets my seeds off to a quick start. I have no idea how much I have saved not having to buy & plant more seeds.

They make single cables & mats for heating 1 or 2 flats I have 3 for plants I need to start earlier than the main bench like Tomatos. Eggplant, & peppers.

The longer it takes a seed to start the more time the thingies in the soil has to eat them. One more big reason I reccomend Sunshine soiless seed mix.

Good luck on the Cornos they are the best roasted peppers iv'e eaten or stuffed with rice meal & crab.

Old 04-05-05, 04:41 PM
If I start my morning glory seeds in one of these dome kits, I was told that I should soak them in water overnight and also make a little slice in the black skin of the seed? Do I do this with a razor blade? Will they germinate without the cutting? this is the first year I am starting my own seeds. thanks.
-Bob

Old 04-05-05, 04:57 PM
Soaking the seed overnight and cutting the hard skin make it easier for the plant sprouts to break through. They will sprout without soaking and cutting, however it will take a bit longer. The seeds in nature are neither soaked or cut, however these are not allowed to dry out as the commercially packaged seeds are.

Good luck with your gardening.