Tough Shrubs

Old 09-12-00, 04:36 AM
Visiting Guest
How do you dig up a shrub? I tried to dig up three shrubs over the weekend and I almost p***ed out. The best I could do was actually cut the shrub down. I tried to dig up the roots but found this to be impossible!!! Is there any tool or product designed to help rid yourself of these things. I beleive that as long as the root is there, the plant will grow back-even it is sawed off. Is this true? Please help!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-00, 05:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

As you have discovered a mature shrub has a fairly extensive root system. There are a very few that would come back from roots but generally not from the smaller feeder roots. Most shrubs that "will" grow back do so if a stump is left.

Just dig out soil from around the shrub (about 1' to 1-1/2' out from stump) and down about the same. Chop or cut out the exposed roots. That should do it for shrubs. I wouldn't worry about it coming back. If something does (by the odd chance) come up you can deal with it easily since it's small.

Old 09-12-00, 06:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

P.S. Forgot to mention. Before you do that digging do make sure there are no irrigation, utility, service lines in there. Don't want any boo-boo's.