Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

grass/garden maintenence, daily, weekly or biweekly or monthly.

grass/garden maintenence, daily, weekly or biweekly or monthly.

Old 09-14-00, 05:34 PM
Visiting Guest
as i am new and never had a home before with garden can some one refer me to basic maintenence about garden or grass. i don't want to lose garden also there are few trees can i know there name without cutting them!!!
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-00, 09:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

What a wonderful thing - to be just starting. I've been at it for 50 years (started when I was 6) so let's see what I can do to help you enjoy gardening as much as I still do.

First - place a call to your local Cooperative Extension Service. They are in your phone book government pages under county. The entry usually starts with the initials of your state's land grant college/university. If you are not in the U.S. ask at your local nursery if your area has a similar program.

The Extension Service has a program called Master Gardeners. These are experienced gardeners in your area who have been especially trained to assist you in identifying trees & plants. They also have been trained to help you with questions regarding your climate, soil, and the cultural needs of plants, lawn, and trees in your location. For a beginner this info is very important to get you off to a good start.

The services are free as they are already paid for by your tax dollars and the Master Gardeners are all volunteers. I used to be one. Great people.

Now for some homework. Go to your local library and check out the following books:

Crockett's Victory Garden by James Underwood Crockett. This book is written on a month by month basis of "what needs to be done when" with special sections for additional info. This book has info on ornamental and vegetable growing.

Crockett's Flower Garden by James Underwood Crockett. This book is also written on a month by month basis as above but aimed at ornamentals only.

The Garden Primer by Barbara Damrosch. This is a comprehensive book covering all aspects of gardening i.e. flowers, trees, shrubs, lawn, vegetables, herbs, etc. Very down to earth and common sense.

All of the above books are excellent for beginners as they do not assume you have already had 20 yrs. experience. They are also, by the way, comprehensive enough for a gardener who has 50 yrs. experience. I still refer to them and I'm a retired commercial nursery owner.

The above takes care of the basic info you need to get you going. Regarding tree identification it can usually be easily done by simply taking a couple of leaves or a very small "twiglet with a couple of leaves" to your local nursery that sells trees and shrubs.

It would also pay you to make a visit to your local nursery that sells annuals, perennials, etc. Get to know your local source.

For now stay away from the big box store nurseries until you have more experience and knowledge. The same advice applies to websites. Some are valuable, some are nonsense, some just have a product to sell. Until you are knowledgeable regarding your climate, zone, soil type, how to select a healthy plant, etc. it is best to rely on local knowledgeable people.

This should get you off to a good start. If you have any questions you cannot get the answer to locally please come on back here and I will see what I can do to help. Happy gardening. Best - Ladybug

Old 09-15-00, 06:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Also check out your neighborhood. There's
bound to be at least one neighbor who loves
to garden, and it probably shows. And most
people who love to garden, love to share -
information, plants, etc. They know the
climate, soil, which plants do well in your
region, etc. Some of the best gardening advice I ever received was from an elderly
neighbor who took me under his wing and
taught me A LOT. Its a great way to meet new
people, too. Enjoy the experience.
received

Old 09-15-00, 07:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Absolutely excellent idea!!