transplanting magnolia tree

Old 09-15-00, 11:38 PM
Visiting Guest
I am considering adding on to the house but I have a large magnolia tree that would have to be cut down or moved a short distance. I know some large trees can be transplanted but is it possible to transplant a large magnolia tree and what are its chances of survival.

Old 09-16-00, 04:23 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Magnolias do not transplant easily. Whenever possible, magnolias should not be transplanted but left where they are. If moving is imperative (as in your case), the roots would need to be balled and burlapped with great care and do not permit the root ball to dry out.

For this tree you need to contact your local nursery that sells trees. They will know who in your area is the best company to contact for moving the tree. For a large tree with root ball you will need the services of a professional. Also ask the nurseryman about survival chances in your area and the best time of year to attempt to move it in your climate.

Get a price for moving the tree and balance this off against the value of the tree and the survival rate advised.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: