Tree Roots Everywhere!!

Old 03-24-05, 07:25 PM
planetparadise
Visiting Guest
Tree Roots Everywhere!!

Hi..!!
Bought the wooded lot behind our home and wanted to keep the mature trees and clear the saplings and brush.My husband cut the brush and saplings about 2" from the ground.I started raking the leaves (about 6" or more thick on top the suface) as I got closer to the earth it was nothing but a tangle of roots and soil..This covers the entire area of the lot and I don't know what kind of tool I could use to get all of these spider roots out of this large area so I can plant gardens?It would take years to do it manually by hand..I don't know if these are actually the roots of the mature trees thereby harming them ...HELP!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-05, 09:21 PM
For vegetable gardens, dig the soil down about 8 inches to remove the roots as needed. The trees of any size will compete with the vegetables, so the immediate area needs to be cleared. If you are working around this wooded area, remember that vegetables need lots of sun.

For flower gardens, dig a spot for each plant. Mulch around the plants or mulch the entire bed. Choose plants appropriate for the amount of sun available. It will take a while to make this wooded area into a cultivated area.

Hope this helps.