fruit trees

Old 10-15-00, 07:15 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I just purchased a house with a variety of fruit trees including oranges, grapefruit, tangerines, lemons, limes, figs, peaches, tangelos and something the previous owner (who spoke in broken english) called Lomquats. I am a bit overwhelmed as I have never owned fruit trees (let alone a house) How do I care for these things? I live in Southwest Florida so hopefully you have an idea of my climate. HELP!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-00, 11:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

First the "lomquats". Since it was said with an accent I am going to hazard a guess that it is either a Limequat 'Eustis' which is a hybrid of a 'Mexican' lime and a kumquat or it is a Nagami Kumquat (fortunella margarita). Both are a type of citrus.

The 'limequat' has jumbo fruit in size and shape, light yellow when ripe. Rind edible. Flavor and aroma of lime. Produces lime flavoring in areas that are too frosty for true limes.

The Nagami Kumquat has fruit that is bright orange, oval, about 1" across. Edible rind is sweet, flesh tart. Fruit used in marmalade, jelly; is candied, preserved whole.

The best source of information regarding care, harvesting, etc. is available to you locally. Give a call to your local Cooperative Extension Service. They are in the phone book government pages under county. The entry usually begins with the initials of your state's land grant college/university.

They will be able to give you specific information on care, feeding, pruning, harvesting for each variety you have.

If you are unable to find a listing for them call the agricultural dept. listed and they should be able to direct you to the correct office.

Also, talk to your locally owned nursery (not big box store nursery). Someone there will also be able to give you the advice you need tailored to your local soil and climate.

Old 10-16-00, 01:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Maybe the Lomquat is a Loquat (Eriobotrya japonica). They have large leaves, 6"-12" long and 2"-4" wide, and a 1"-2" long fruit which is yellow to orange color. I have one in my front yard here in So. California. I haven't done much of anything to care for it except watering, but it has been doing very well the past 1-1/2 years that I have lived here. I haven't tried eating any but some neighbors love them.

Phil

[This message has been edited by Phil H (edited October 16, 2000).]

Old 10-16-00, 04:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Hi PhilH,

That is a possibility. I was keying off the list above being primarily citrus but Loquat is a fruiter and sounds like 'lomquat' too.

If it is a 'Loquat' and was planted with the intention of harvesting it is more than likely not a seedling source as their fruit is unpredictable. Look for a graft where the tree joins a parent root system right around ground level to help you identify.

'Champagne' has yellow-skinned white-fleshed, juicy, tart fruit.

'Gold Nugget' has sweeter fruit with orange skin, flesh.

'MacBeth' large fruit with yellow skin, cream flesh.

'Thales' has yellow fleshed fruit.