too many roses

Old 10-23-00, 10:06 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

We bought a new house and the driveway is lined with roses. They are about 4 years old. I would like to move the roses to the backyard. How and when do I do it?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-00, 06:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Put three rose growers together and you'll get three different ways to grow roses so I shall list "generally accepted practice".

1. Roses are moved when dormant just before growth begins in spring.

Depending on your climate (southern, no winter) they can be moved in leaf just be sure ground is prepared where they are going, hole is dug, take as much root ball with soil around roots as possible, and move each plant quickly to its new home. Water each plant in as it is moved. Move in evening to give plants over-night to start settling in.

2. Prune plant back according to its type i.e. tea, floribunda, grandiflora, shrub type, etc.

3. Dig straight down or as straight as possible approximately 1' out from base of plant and down about 1'to 1-1/2'.

An excellent book with complete information on growing, planting, pruning, care, pest & disease control, etc. is All About Roses by Ortho Books. You can get it in your local library or at most garden centers.

Having said that I have moved them in the dead of summer, full bloom, maximum size plant. Had to dig way too shallow, bare-rooted them to keep from getting witch grass with them, and pruned them way down. It was either that or watch the bulldozer take them out the next morning. They not only survived but florished beautifully.

Sometimes I think it is a good thing that plants can't read so they don't know what they can't do.

Best - Ladybug