INDIAN STYLE GARDEN

Old 11-12-00, 03:23 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT AN INDIAN TYPE GARDEN? I READ AN ARTICLE ABOUT IT, BUT CANT REMEMBER WHAT THEY CALLED IT. IT HAS TO DO WITH PLANTING IN A CIRCLE INSTEAD OF ROWS AND HAVING THE PLANTS HELP EACH OTHER IE. BEANS NEXT TO CORN ETC. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT AS I WOULD LIKE TO TRY THIS NEXT SPRING.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-00, 12:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Try searching the web using the keyword "intercropping" - this is the practice of keeping 2 crops together that assist one another somehow.

Also, you might just try looking up organic gardening. The issues are probably largely the same - using the forces of nature and balance to help you grow your foods. You could combine these concepts with a little creativity if you want a circle - you can plant in any shape you want as long as it is convenient and rewarding for you! This sounds like a fun project! Let us know if you find any good sources of information.

Old 11-22-00, 11:56 AM
Visiting Guest
I believe what you want is a form of companion gardening called "The Three Sisters" which plants beans, corn and squash together in mounds. It was used by the native americans to increase yields of all three crops. A quick overview of the technique can be found at www.gardengatemagazine.com/tips/27tip3.html