Weeds on Wooded Lot

Old 04-04-05, 11:38 AM
nibsey
Visiting Guest
Weeds on Wooded Lot

Hi,

I purchased a home last spring (first one - yahoo!) and we have a portion of our back yard that is lightly wooded. My wife and I would eventually like to clean out the wooded area to plant wildflowers or potentially grass, i.e., make it look more manicured and clean.

The wooded area gets infested with a large wall of weeds (some were 6+feet tall last year - evening primrose, queen anne's lace, canadian thistle, tall grasses, etc.) and I don't like the way it looks. Wife and I pulled lots of the larger weeds out last fall and let the rest die with the hard frost here in northern NY. Now that it's spring, I'm thinking of using a weed killer to stop any new growth before I get a chance to clean-out the old trees, stumps, branches, etc. Any thoughts on the type of weed killer I should use that will totally kill the weeds but won't harm the larger trees in this area? Also - this wooded area borders my lawn so I want to use something that won't run-off too much into my yard and kill my existing lawn. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind something that will kill the weeds long-term. I probably won't do any plantings on this patch of land for a year or so anyway.

Thanks!

Nibs

Old 04-10-05, 01:21 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Weeds can be controlled by hand pulling and with mulch. Make sure mulch does not contain weed seeds as with hay or small grain straw. There are chemical herbicides available. Before purchasing a herbicide, take time to read the label. Make sure the product is labeled for application to the flowers, shrubs, vines, and other plants in your landscape. Weeds can also be mowed with mower or weedeater to discourage growth and prevent them from going to seed. You can also overseed areas with a cover crop. Plant a species that grows rapidly to starve weeds from light and nutrition. In the northeast, overwintering hairy vetch plus rye or hairy vetch plus oats mixtures are popular as a spring cover crop. Buckwheat, sorghum-Sudangrass, or Japanese millet work well in the heat of summer. Ryegrasses, oats or other small grains provide fall cover and winter erosion control. Weeds are best attacked when small and before they go to seed. Sometimes, just chopping with a hoe is effective.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: