Wasps are eating my plums

Old 04-04-05, 01:16 PM
kezzie36
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Wasps are eating my plums

Hi, I've got a plum tree and last year I got my first good crop of plums, but before they were ripe enough to pick the tree got infested with wasps who ate all the plums, we couldn't even get close to the tree as they were quite vicious. Has anybody got any idea how to stop this happening again this year. There was no nests anywhere near this tree either.

Old 04-06-05, 11:03 PM
Happy I did it
Visiting Guest
Smile Wasp?

Hi kezzie36
Do a search on Yellow Jackets. If that's the problem, I'll share a little trick with you.

Mike

Old 04-08-05, 01:56 AM
kezzie36
Visiting Guest
Hi Mike,
I think your right they are yellow jackets, they seem to fit the description and behavour that I've just read about.
I'd be very greatful for any advice you could give me.
Kerry

Old 04-08-05, 04:29 PM
Happy I did it
Visiting Guest
Smile Yellow Jackets not invited guest.

Hi Kerry

http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxx.com

The way we did it & that really worked well was to hang 1 or 2 YJ traps 25 feet up wind from the Plum trees. Use hamburger or lunchon meat, & hang them out about 2 weeks before the fruit starts ripening. Light gloves & a long sleeves will protect you from the few YJs who may linger.

Try to find where the YJs are going to in the late afternoon & evening places like the house roof, or a hole in the ground. I always looked for the YJS to go to ground each year, but last year my son hit an underground nest with the mower in late june not Aug.

(I would recommend you) order the traps & the safe wasp & Hornet spray made from Rotenone. This is for the paper nest & for use after dark. Now a glass ketchup bottle or one like it can be used at night to plug any ground nests. Yellow Jackets do build a ground nest to over Winter in, but they have not learned to build escape tunnels to the surface. In a week or two the whole nest will be dead, without using Gasoline that some use, & then it gets down into our drinking water.

The traps with their favorite meat has kept us from getting stung when we pick our tree ripened fruit. I once read an story where the guy advised we pick our fruit before the fruit was fully ripe. I chuckled & thought if I wanted unripe fruit I could buy it at Winn Dixie

The odd part of the yellow Jacket is this fantastic flying insect hunter has helped us keep the bad insects damage way down. It's the Wasps & Hornets being meat eaters, & they help the Gardner keep the bad bugs down so we don't have to spray as often. It's there bad atitude sometimes that makes them so obnoxious when we both want the same thing to eat.

One last trick. My fellow grower down the road has 6 peach trees. He picks them at night with a headband light. Now he's not married, so some of his methods don't factor in a Wife & kids. He tills at night, sprays, plants, weeds etc. He also sleeps until 2pm, I did ask him if he plants Garlic just in case.

I hope this helps you, as much as it has helped us over the years. Happy Gardening this season.

Mike

Last edited by Annette; 04-11-05 at 07:40 AM. Reason: removed commercial website & solicitation
Old 04-09-05, 12:37 AM
kezzie36
Visiting Guest
Hi Mike
Thanks for all your advice.
I'll give it ago and let you know near the end of the year how it goes.
Thanks again
Kerry

Old 04-09-05, 09:41 PM
Happy I did it
Visiting Guest
Your welcome kerry, please do let us know how well it works for you. I believe that the Yellow Jackets like the meat more than the suger in the fruit. That is the trick The traps should be used for a purpose only not as a season long thing. I have noticed the Wasps & Hornets hatch more larva out when food is plenty.

Mike

Old 04-11-05, 01:35 PM
Happy I did it
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up I broke yet another new rule ( Sorry )

Kerry I was contacted by Annette, the CO-MOD & it seems that I sent you to a Link that not only has very good info on a great subject, but it sells a few products ( A site of Commerce) so I can only say these are products I have used with great results, not where you can buy them. Funny thing is, I have never perchased anything from the site I gave you.

Well I can't send you our anyone else to this site any longer but you can search it out, no problem at all. In any case I know you can search for these ingredients & traps, buy using a good search engine. Or you may find the traps localy, but you may not find the safer wasp & hornet killer made with Pyrethem.

If you need to to e-mail me for any reason it's in in my Bio just click e-mail me. I tried to send you a PM ( Private message) but you have it disabled.

Have a happy growing season Kerry, I have had quite enough of the political nonsense here. So I don't think I will waste anymore time here where the restrictions are so strict, & not seen on other garden Forums.

Mike aka Marturo Good Bye & best of luck DIY.

Post edited: Only the email address removed. Please use Private messaging to exchange information of this type.

Last edited by Happy I did it; 04-12-05 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Email addresses not permitted in Fourm posts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: