Roses - Need Advise

Old 04-11-05, 05:29 PM
griffey
Visiting Guest
Roses - Need Advise

Last November I transplanted some rose bushes that were being thrown away, I am new to rose bushes. After transplanting, I forgot to water them. Will they survive?

Do I need to cut them back or what do I need to do and when????

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-05, 12:34 PM
Since it was late in the year, you may be OK. I don't know where you are, in IL where I am the roses started putting out new leves a couple of weeks ago. If you're where I am or south of here and you've got nothing yet, you may have lost them.

You should have pruned back hard in late winter before new growth started and pruned off anything you misssed that got winter killed after new growth starts.

I think I would still prune back enen if your growth has started. Go down to about a foot from the ground and prune all the canes about 5/8" above a new shoot or a potential bud (reddish bump). Also cut off anything obviously dead and put ordinary white glue on the cut end of any cane larger than a pencil thickness.

If they look alive (canes still green) go ahead and fertilize with a slow release (I use Bayer with systemic pesticide) and water deeply.

Never water your roses with just a little water, and don't water more than once a week (or every two) unless they are obviously drooping even when it cools off in the evening. You want those roots to go DEEP.

Old 04-13-05, 10:26 PM
A favorite website for rose growers is http://www.ars.org/ for the American Rose Society. There is also a wealth of information on roses on the internet and many books available online and at the library.

Depending on your Growing Zone, it may be too early to see signs of life. If you see green canes, that is a sign of life. But, winter protection is crucial for all roses except perhaps some very hardy varieties.

Old gray or brown canes should be pruned. Strip off any leaves. Remove twiggy growth and suckers.

Buy quality pruning shears. For larger canes, you will need a pruning saw. Correct angle at 45 degrees about 1/4" inch above leaf axles is important. Always cut to healthy tissue. Seal cuts with a drop of Elmer's glue. Prevent disease by always cleaning up foliage and trimmings.