Tulips didn't bloom

Old 04-21-05, 02:44 AM
Tulips didn't bloom

There are several 'clumps' of tulips sprout leaves, but no stems with blooms.

What's the deal? Do they need some special fertilizer or something???

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-05, 04:42 PM
I feed mine a bit of bone meal each year. It may not get cold enough where you are for the tulips to bloom. They require a certain amount and duration of cold weather each winter. Some have to take them up and chill them in the refrigerator for some weeks to effect the bloooming in spring.

Old 04-25-05, 02:04 AM
Bone meal

I have tulips that bloom just fine and others that don't. So I don't think that is the problem...

When do I put the bone meal down? Now, Fall?

Old 04-25-05, 04:31 PM
Fall is too late to feed them. Feed them after the bloom is off.

Did these tulips bloom last year? Are they late bloomers? There are 3 types of tulips - early, middle, and late blooming.

Old 04-26-05, 03:53 AM
no blooms

I don't know where you live but in my area, mid atlantic, tulips offen do not bloom after the first year and then those that do bloom are fewer each year, although the leaves will continue to come up. I'm assuming these are tulips that are not first year, because they should bloom the first year you plant them. My area is too hot in the summer for tulips so they do not do well on a long term basis. The bulbs generally come from Holland where it is cooler during the summer. That's why they do well the first year in your garden.

If some of the tulips failed to come up at all, I have been told that squirrels think of tulips as candy. On the otherhand, daffodils are poisonous to squirrels and they come up year after year.