Started plants, WHAT is wrong?

Old 04-29-05, 12:59 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Started plants, WHAT is wrong?

Not new to gardening, raised on a farm. usually just buy plants for garden!!

Now, I started Pepper, bell types, Corno DE Toro, and tomatoes Brandywine with fresh seed.
1. Started in peat pellets 16 March 2005.
2. After they came up (7-14) days I transplanted into 4 inch round peat pots.
3. Used "Perfect Mix" (brand) all purpose potting "soil", purchased at WALMART!
4. April 29 2005. The tomato plants are only about 4 inches tall from soil to top of plant.
5. Peppers are about 2.5 inches tall from soil to top of plant.
6. Room temperature is 70/71 upward.
7. I have tried using a diluted fish emulsion spray on the leaves/plant. However the lower leaves ( I guess the first true leaves) on the tomato and pepper plants are falling off.
8. The plants are not what I would call spindly at all,, just small!!
9. They are in a 40"X20" plastic box that is only 5 inches tall.
10. I keep them in front sliding glass doors day and night. These doors face WEST. I know, not the ideal, but still!

Why are the plants so slow/dwarfed.?
I need an answer fast!! Brandywine plants at my local "Southern States" are $5.00 each!!!!!!!!!
Changeling

Old 04-30-05, 08:03 AM
B
Why did you transplant them into the peat pots?
At this point, quit using the fertilizer - the plants are too young for it. There should be enough nutrients in the soil mix to help them grow.

Is the lid propped open or is it shut? It needs top be propped open.

How much are you watering and when?

Old 04-30-05, 08:33 AM
C
Why did you transplant them into the peat pots?
Because that is what I had and thought that would be best.

At this point, quit using the fertilizer - the plants are too young for it. There should be enough nutrients in the soil mix to help them grow.
OK, that I will do.

Is the lid propped open or is it shut? It needs top be propped open.
There is no lid on the plastic box, box is only 6 inches tall.

How much are you watering and when?
I let the plants get dry, then I do a thorough watering. about every 4 days. Like I said they are not spindly just small.

Is it possibly to cold, I wouldn't think so.

Old 05-01-05, 11:17 AM
Post Root stunt

4" peat pots, 4" tomatoes? That sounds like root stunt. Do their roots come down to the bottom of the pots? If so transplant them to bigger pots, cause otherwise, the plant thinks it has reached "the end of life" and settles without growing.

Good luck!

CountryGardener

Old 05-02-05, 07:16 AM
C
4" peat pots, 4" tomatoes? That sounds like root stunt. Do their roots come down to the bottom of the pots? If so transplant them to bigger pots, cause otherwise, the plant thinks it has reached "the end of life" and settles without growing.

Well that is the first time I have ever heard of that! No, the plants are not rootbound at all either.

Old 05-07-05, 08:50 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
4" plants sound about right. Once baby leaves appear, plants can be transplanted to pot. When spring weather has warmed up and night temperatures are regularly in the 55 degree range, you can plant in the garden. You will want to harden off plants by gradually introducing them to the sun, just for 2-3 hours and gradually over a week's time increasing the time outdoors until they can take full sun all day. This will prevent transplant shock. If plants are over 6" tall at time of transplanting, remove bottom branches. Roots will grow along buried stem. Settle the seedling into the hole to cover entire stem up to where leafy branches begin. Pull soil around plant and firm with hand.

Old 05-08-05, 09:50 AM
J
The warm season veggies need a warm day (85deg is ideal for tomatoes) and a warm nite. When starting indoors I like to use bottom heat on tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant. A heated wire under the sugar cube sized soil blocker starts and I can do 400 in about 6sq ft. Or you can use a light bulb over a speedling tray to provide heat. Once they get 2" high transplant to 4" pots and they'll be good till about 1' high. I water with liquid seaweed and fish emulsion (a tablespoon/ gal.) but only 1or2 times after transplant unless they are bluish, or yellowing (could be too much watering also). I'm in ca. and start warm season around Feb 1st. to get 1' er's (peppers and eggplant-not that big) by may-june. Potting soil isn't starter mix. The nurserys use a seed starting mix (vermiculite to loosen, fertilizer for growth, etc.). THe library is a great resouce and many books have been written on propagation. Also if your starts are healthy and not stunted once in the ground past the last frost is when they really put on the growth so don't worry. I've always though the plants grow best from direct seeding but you won't get a crop (or as much crop) without cheating time by early starts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: