Carnations - Problems

Old 06-09-05, 06:06 PM
gojfb1
Visiting Guest
Carnations - Problems

I have grown carnations for years at a prior residence and have moved to a different home. In 2003 I planted carnations and saw no problems. In Spring of 2004 they came out beautiful. After about a month the stems fell forward onto the ground. I ended up cutting them completely back, so needless to say that I did not have carnations to enjoy last year. This year for 3 weeks they were beautiful and again, they have fallen forward with their blooms not quite opened yet.
I do not have mulch around them and they are planted on the South side, with full sun from noon time forward. They really do not feel wet when I felt down in near the roots. The foilage near the ground has turned yellow.
Can anyone within the sound of my voice help?

Thank you and God Bless America and the US Troops!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-05, 08:04 PM
Amen! God Bless America & God Bless our Troops!!!! Sorry, but I'm so old and so are my history books that I am still carrying Washington across the Delaware. These modern politics and funding issues are, indeed, a topic for the Chats & Whines Forum. I don't think we will resolve our world issues and D.C. is going to do whatever it's doing to do and our opinion does not count.

Moving on to the 'greener' pastures. No pun intended because you are a gardener. Dianthus (carnations) should be planted where they will receive at least 4-5 hours of full sun each day. They really need fertile, fast draining, slightly alkaline (pH 6.75) soil.

Don't over-water because it may tend to turn the foliage yellow. Usually like most plants a good weekly watering is all that is needed unless you have a dry spell. These plants tend to reseed so don't jump up and yank out plants you think kicked the bucket. But you need to dead head to remove old blossoms. Just pinch.

Plants need to be about 12-18 inches apart and always planted at the same depth from where they were transplanted. Don't bury plants too deep, just keep the top of the root structure level with soil. Don't let mulch touch stems. You can give them some Miracle Grow every 6-8 weeks or add some all-purpose (10-10-10) liquid fertilizer.

It sounds like you have soil or moisture issues. Get a soil sample and make recommended amendments and attend to moisture issues.

Old 06-10-05, 01:23 PM
gojfb1
Visiting Guest
I appreciate your reply and especially your introduction...
I believe that I probably have a moisture problem. I do not water them, but I believe, being that they are next to the home, therefore only getting 3 sides of sun. Yes, they are getting the total amount of enough sun hours.
I wonder what would happen if I just cut the stems off - would that regrow this season?
I just luv Carnations!
Thanks again and Freedom is not free, alot of blood has been shed to get what we have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-10-05, 07:35 PM
Severe cutting back may cause plants to die as roots will not get enough nutrition to overwinter. Perhaps relocating to a drier area with full sun would be better, but it's a little warm now for transplanting.