Questions about Calla lillies

Old 08-28-05, 06:52 AM
truckdrivinfool
Visiting Guest
Questions about Calla lillies

Being as I've never had them until this year I'm hoping someone can give me some information on them or send me to a page w/ better information then the ones selling them and telling me what conditions they like. Pre info - I planted two of them as bulbs(?) this spring in new flowerbeds and they've come up nicely and one has shot afew flowers.

1. Is there a reason why only one shot flowers?
2. Do I clip the flowers off now that the colored part has now turned to green and resembels a funky leaf?
3. Is the clump thats forming in the center of the flowers plantable? I ask since it looks like a small version of the bulb(?) that I planted orgionally for these.
4. Come fall do I just treat these like I do day lillies and wait for the growth to go brown and clip off?

As always Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-05, 09:57 AM
Usually regular water, balanced fertilizer, and organic soil amendments will do for a calla lily. I am suspecting your location as being tough on them as far as a short season may apply. This plant is usually in zones 8 and 9. Browning leaves may just be the end of the season for the leaves to be replaced by new ones.