Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

OH HELP! New (kinda) Bed, Need Plant Help!

OH HELP! New (kinda) Bed, Need Plant Help!

Old 09-18-05, 06:39 PM
keziah
Visiting Guest
Exclamation OH HELP! New (kinda) Bed, Need Plant Help!

In April of this year, we cleared some ground in front of our house and put in a new bed. I was very excited and had grand plans for this bed. Soon thereafter I started working 18 hour days, we were beset by late frosts and a very hot dry summer. The bed went to hell in a handbasket.

So, now, its September, I'm starting to dig out at work and I was looking at that bed this weekend and almost cried. I have no idea what plants to put in to make it look good year round. In the begining I put 4 azaleas in it, lined one side with dusty miller, the other side with marigolds, threw in some snapdragons and thats abut it.

Here is the pics of just after it was finished. http://www.nocturnal.org/~kevans/flowerbed.htm
The azaleas died a slow painful death, the dustymiller took off and grew like mad, the marigolds grew a little too much and look gaudy.

I live near the begining of my subdivision and this bed is in the very front of my house, I want it to look nice year round. Please help. Please.
I am in St. Louis, Missouri, which is zone, 5 I think. I do have gardening experience but not enough time. I do want to put some tulips in so its that lovely mass of blooms in the spring, other than that....I'm at a loss...

Dimensons are:
36" wide, bordered on one side by sidewalk. Approximatly 10 feet to the bend, then another 12 feet to the driveway. (see pictures in url above).

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-05, 08:27 PM
Azalea is a good plant, but needs watering to become established. As you learned, Dusty Miller and Marigolds will thrive with neglect. For a bed in front of the walk, it seems appropriate to use low growing plants such as Encore or Gumpo Azaleas. You could tuck some tulips in around them and have the show in the spring. Some rock iris would provide color later in the season while blending with the greenery of the tulips until it fades in summer. For an enduring display of color until frost, Stella d'Oro daylilies are hard to beat. Daylilies will endure almost anything. The clumps will thicken with time to form a mass. Low maintenance annuals include periwinkle, geraniums, petunias. Winter color can be pansies, if planted early enough.

There are many plants that can be combined to make an attractive bed along a walk.

Hope this helps.