Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

How do I prepare soil for a spring veggie garden?

Old 09-29-05, 02:21 PM
eighth
Visiting Guest

Okay, so I just moved to upstate New York. I've got this small plot of soil behind the house that looks pretty vegetable gardenlike. I want to prep the soil for a spring garden. I keep getting conflicting advice. It's almost October 1, is it too late for crop cover? Should I just till the soil and fold in the dead leaves? Should I get some compost or manure or something? Is it clear I'm a city person who's NEVER GARDENED before? Need much advice.

thanks,
fiona

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-05, 03:08 PM
eighth, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
I am a believer in getting local advice for the area you are in. Check with a Nursery in your area. If you are going to grow tomatoes, you will need lime in the soil or suffer from black bottom rot. This has to be put in early. A soil test kit is a must. Each plant needs different things so you have to know what you have and what you need. In exchange for valuable info from a nursery, buy your products from them. You will both be ahead for it. I went from topsoil in Ohio to sand in Florida and now clay in Arkansas. My local nursery was a blessing and we are all good friends now. Good luck.

Old 09-30-05, 09:00 AM
eighth
Visiting Guest
good idea. thanks.

Old 10-02-05, 04:13 PM
Your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent is wealth of information on gardening, soil tests, and veggies that do best in your area. It's a free service for local gardeners. Also, get your local lawn maintenance schedule there.