starting trees from seed ?

Old 10-28-05, 06:55 PM
wwc
Question starting trees from seed ?

I have a buckeye from a tree and a walnut from a tree , how can i palnt these and have a success with growing a tree from them.

Can i just plant the buckeye in a pot with regular yard soil or shopuld i use a special blend.

Also with the walnut, should i do the same with soil, and what do i do with the shell ? should i open the shell and remove the "seed" and plant just that?
or plant the whole thing.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-05, 11:41 AM
Plant seeds that have fallen from tree (not plucked) without husk in soil now for cold treatment required before growth next spring. Plant three inches deep in well-worked soil. Plant more than one seed because not all seeds will germinate. Mulch over until spring. Or, place seed in moist planting medium such as sphagnum moss and sealed in plastic bag, then stored in the refrigerator until spring. Pot the seeds in the spring.

Old 10-31-05, 04:26 PM
wwc
Well i didn't plan things very well because i only got one seed from each tree while i was visiting away from home and it's too far to get more,so i am hoping for good luck and they come up.

They did come from the ground recently and are both still in husks.

Can i plant them in pots now and leave outside or do they need to be in the ground till spring?

What is a safe way to remove the husks without hurting the seed inside.

thanks.

Old 11-01-05, 09:50 AM
The husk has scattered soft spines in some species, spineless in others, and splits into three sections to release the seed which is usually shiney brown to blackish brown. You can pot the seed outdoors. Remember to keep soil moist.

The leathery, green husk on a black walnut should soften and turn black. Wear rubber gloves to prevent staining of hands when removing husk to reveal the rough nut inside.

Old 11-01-05, 10:53 AM
wwc
thank you.