question on tractor implements?

Old 02-28-06, 07:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
question on tractor implements?

Friend has Massey F. 255.. we are thinking of gardening part of his property.. We just dont know the correct implements (if right word) to use.. Disc? I know there are more just not positive what they all do.. sorry for the open ended question.. just trying to get one started..
thanks Don

Old 02-28-06, 08:59 PM
B
How big will the garden be and what crops?

A tiller is good to prep the garden for winter by tilling the remains into the soil for faster decomp. Then use again in the spring to loosen the soil.
Don't get a disc. Even farmers are moving away from plowing and discing.

If its a large garden, a sprayer may come in handy.

Old 03-01-06, 07:27 PM
This is in canton,tx .. Soil is very sandy.. He has about 25 acres but wanting to use about 5 for gardening. we are wanting to plant watermelons on most of it and a smalller part for veggies.. he has a thing for the watermelons, or cantelope if they will grow good in that kind of soil.. I appreciate the help..

Old 03-01-06, 10:12 PM
B
You might want to talk to a local extension agent. Farmers are getting away from plow and disc because of soil erosion. Planters put the seed right into the ground instead of just dropping the seed, and even fertilize at the same time. But that is for corn, wheat, and soybeans. Watermelons - no clue. I don't know anyone that plants 5 acres in melons.

Old 03-02-06, 08:43 AM
thanks, i will tell him.. I also thought that was a little over kill on the melons. I think he just has a little to much time on his hands

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: