Raised Bed - Bulb Garden - Mushrooms

Reply

  #1  
Old 03-17-06, 09:58 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11
Raised Bed - Bulb Garden - Mushrooms

I built a raised bed last fall and planted close to 1000 bulbs in it and around the entire house. We are getting swamped with color right now and being surprised with all kinds of beauty.

Anways, at the bottom of the beds where most of the draining occurs there are really disgusting mushrooms that are growing on the ground and bottom of the beds. As well, throughout the garden there are multiple different types of mushrooms growing up and sometimes competing with the bulbs. Do these mushrooms cause any harm to the bulbs or to my dog if she eats them? I think that may actually help the bed becuase I've heard of mushroom compost. Thanks
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 03-20-06, 03:31 PM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 15,834
Mushrooms are a fungus that likes damp soil and feeds on decaying organic material. You can simply remove them by hand if unsightly. They eventually go away, especially when soil dries out. Adding more soil to bed to reduce amount of compost or other organic material will be helpful, too.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
'