Black walnut trees

Old 03-20-06, 07:18 PM
Y
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black walnut trees

HI i know now that black walnut is exspensive! wel i have the seeds and they grow very ouick i heared so well i was wondering how far apart should i plant them and do they need wter everyday??

Old 03-20-06, 07:33 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Planting walnut seedlings is much more reliable than planting from nuts. Spacing is determined by what your intentions are for the trees--timber, timber and nuts, or forestry. Learn more about growing walnut trees at http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...es/DD0505.html

Old 03-21-06, 03:15 PM
R
Talking

yardman...i have 2 black walnut trees that i planted in my yard last year that i started from nuts.. i kept them inside for their 1st year. i live in colorado so they are not fast growers up here.. i'm not sure where you are.they are about 4 feet tall now i do baby them...if you are looking for a sense of pride by all means starting them from nuts is the way to go..

Old 03-31-06, 02:05 PM
roots

Growing a black walnut sounds good, black walnut makes realy nice furniture. Just remember if you have a garden near the tree roots of a black walnut they give off a cemical that makes it difficult to grow shade plants such as tomatoes. The ground becomes acidy. Have fun.
friday

Old 04-02-06, 05:30 AM
Y
I think they take forever to grow, I had 5 of them around my house ( all over 100 years old) and I would never recomment anyone getting them, unless you have a hugh field to grow them in.

I don't know how old you are so, but if your planting them to make money forget it. Maybe your grandchilden could see some profit from the trees. Because you'll be long gone before they get big enough.

Once they do get big enough to grow walnuts on them, the tree becomes a nightmare. The walnuts fall all summer and when they hit the ground you know it. You'll have to walk under the tree with a hard hat on because if one of those walnuts hit you in head it will probable knock you out.

In the fall 100's and 100's of walnuts fall to the ground, and if you think raking leaves is bad wait until you have to rake them up.

Plus what the other guy said, it's real hard to grow anything near a walnut tree. The tree puts off a chemical that kills just about anything that grows near it.

Old 04-02-06, 05:57 AM
Y
I also wanted to add that when those walnuts fall the nut cracks and leaves a real bad black stain on what ever it hits. I ruined the paint job on a few cars because of those trees and all my side walks look bad.

Also the walnuts do fall all summer so they need to be raked because those nuts will destroy your lawn mower.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: