grass clippings

Old 04-06-06, 10:31 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
grass clippings

I have grass clippings in my flower bed from last year. Should I remove all this debris and earate the soil before planting new annuals?

Thanks

Old 04-06-06, 11:47 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Yes, you don't want grass clippings in a flower bed.

Old 04-06-06, 12:30 PM
N
Thanks, Mitch. Why wouldn't I want this type of mulch?

Old 04-06-06, 06:29 PM
T
Grass clippings are rich in nutrients and can be used as mulch. It is best to let them dry out before using them as mulch because as they decompose they can heat up and burn tender plants. Grass clippings for mulch should not be thicker than 1" as they can interfere with water penetration to plants. Never use grass clippings treated with herbicide as mulch. Avoid mulching with grass clipping that contain mature weed or grass seeds as these will germinate in your beds. Many prefer to compost grass clippings in the compost pile. Grass clippings left on bed from last year can be dug into soil as you prepare beds for planting.

Old 04-06-06, 06:31 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Grass clippings often contain chemicals that will kill your flowers. Never put grass clippings in a flower bed and do the best you can to keep them out when you mow.

Old 04-07-06, 05:12 AM
J
Grass clippings are an excellent soil amendment providing N and other trace nutrients for plants as they are broken down by the soil microorganisms. Pesticide or herbicide residuals are not substantial and should not of concern unless using it to mulch vegetables with that will be consumed. This stuff has been sitting for months. There is no way it will affect newly planted annuals. The heat generated by decomposing piles of clippings is something to be aware of, but not necessarily at this time of the year.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: