tomatoes with no meat

Old 04-11-06, 10:29 AM
knvt
Visiting Guest
tomatoes with no meat

last year i grew tomatoes and they didnt seem to have any meat inside. i grew plum tomatoes, and they were nice and rfed and plentiful, but the best way to describe them was "hollow".
anybody know what may have caused this, or what i can do this year to prevent it?
it was the first summer we have been in this house, so first time we had a garden there. other years, in other houses we have had great luck growing.
the soil is not the best, so i added several bags of top soil and some composted cow manure.
thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-06, 06:19 PM
You might check with your local agricultural extension service to see if there are some cultivars of tomatoes that are better suited than others for your climate. Tomatoes need steady water, not too wet, not too dry. You might have a soil test of your garden to see if anything needs to be added to the soil. The balance of nutrients is as important as the quality of the soil.

Old 04-11-06, 10:06 PM
Make sure you select a recommended variety of tomato that does well in your growing zone and one that meets your culinary needs. There are some varieties that are hollow or semi-hollow that are great for stuffing.

Old 04-12-06, 07:00 AM
Probably just a poor variety. For a good paste tomato, try Amish Paste, Heidi, Opalka, Heidi, Mama Leone, San Marzano or Martino's Roma. Also, work on amending your soil more. There's few things more important in gardening then good soil.