Where are my hostas?

Old 04-12-06, 07:39 PM
Where are my hostas?

I planted 4 different kinds of hostas last spring (6-8" pots), and they seemed to do real well last year. I let the foilage die on the plant and deadheaded them after they were fully dead (just pulled right off). The bed had a decent layer of premium hardwood mulch, but I never did add anything else to protect for the winter.

As my name suggests, I live in Indianapolis. The weather has been warm, my tulips are up (the green part is; just saw the first few flowers), but I still haven't seen my hostas come up. There are a few small things I see, but I don't think they're my hostas, just weeds I think. Shouldn't they be starting to come up by now?

I poured some Miracle grow in the beds tonight. Hopefully old man winter didn't kill them.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-06, 06:40 AM
I have a few that haven't pushed their eyes through the surface yet either, so I would just wait a week or two. Im sure they'll come up. They are unbelievably hardy.

Old 04-13-06, 07:24 AM
plus, i think it must depend on the variety. my neighbor has what looks like full grown plants up already, while mine are only up about 2" high! it's still early.

Old 04-13-06, 07:33 AM
Thanks! Let's hope.

I found the varieties of what I planted in case that matters...

I planted two each of Halcyon Hosta, Gold Standard Hosta, Fringe Benefit Plantain Lily, and Francee Plantain Lily

Old 04-13-06, 07:38 AM
i'm no expert. all i know is, my neighbor's are solid green & they're 12"x12" already, and mine are variegated and only 2x2"!!

Old 04-13-06, 11:34 AM
Nice varieties Tim. I have about fifteen varieties myself with a couple dozen on my wish list!

Old 04-16-06, 11:18 PM
Just when I was about to give up, I noticed the little noses of all of my hostas today. We've had unseasonably warm weather lately, and then heavy thunderstorms the last few days. I'm glad they stayed under now, because we got pelted with lots of hail on Friday.