Grass Growing In Plants...

Old 04-13-06, 04:38 PM
Grass Growing In Plants...

I have a problem where grass is growing in a bushy plant. (I believe its a spruce) Anyway, its gotten worse over these last years and I can't get to its roots to pull the grass out without ruining the plant. Is there some type of product out there that I can spread over the garden to keep the grass out without hurting the plants? All the plants in the garden are perennials...

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-06, 06:34 PM
A 2 inch layer of ground mulch will go a long way towards keeping the undesired growth at bay.

Old 04-14-06, 05:21 AM
Group Moderator
To kill what you already have, pour some roundup in a cup and paint the blades of grass with it using a small paintbrush. This will kill the grass but not your plant. Then add the mulch like Chirs suggested.

Old 04-14-06, 08:04 AM
I will have to do that then. Is there anything wrong with using multched grass in the garden? In another forum, this guy says that he uses multched grass in his garden and it works.

Old 04-14-06, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
Grass clippings often contain chemicals harmful to other plants and should never be used as mulch.

Old 04-14-06, 07:04 PM
Nevertheless, grass clippings with no chemicals should be fine. I would not use clippings from someone else's yard. You never know what has been applied to the grass. It would be better to compost them first to avoid pulling the nitrogen from the soil when the clippings decompose.

Old 04-15-06, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the advice you guys! Ya, I use Weed & Feed fertiliser on my lawn and I agree with you. Its a bad idea to use grass for multch if a chemical was used.

I was looking at ground multch on the internet and it seems to be quite pricey per cubic yard. Is there a place you guys know of that I can buy bags of multch for a cheaper price? We don't have a vehicle so we can't do it localy anymore, I have to buy online...