Ashes in the garden?

Old 04-21-06, 05:19 AM
Ashes in the garden?

Live in NJ so have prettyt good garden soil (Garden State - after all) - I have heard that fireplace ashes will help a garden even more. True? Suppose you use wax firestarters -= no problem? Am I too late to put ashes in the soil this year? (will be planting vegetable and flower gardens mid-May)
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-06, 10:03 AM
Apply ashes before tilling garden. Ashes can be sprinkled between layers in compost pile. Too much ash in garden can raise pH level or salts that may not be good for certain plants. If you are growing acid loving plants, ashes can sweeten soil too much and plants will not get proper nutrition. If you soil is already too sweet, ashes can raise pH too high for plants to get proper nutrition.

Wax in fire starters should have been consumed by fire. The EPA warns against use of wax fire starters and the wax and sawdust logs (intended for open fireplaces) in woodburning stoves due to increased chances of chimney fires.

Old 04-21-06, 03:55 PM
WOW - glad I asked. So I certainly don't want to put these ashes in my tomato garden!!!

Thanks for the info

Old 04-22-06, 06:17 PM
A soil test is the most accurate way to determine what amendments need to be made to soil for type of plants grown.

Old 04-30-06, 06:52 PM
tripptm
Visiting Guest
Someone told me that bbq briquet ashes are good for houseplants? Is this true?

Someone told me that bbq briquet ashes are good for houseplants? Does anyone know if this is this true?