Two headed sago palm

Old 04-25-06, 07:37 PM
Two headed sago palm

I have some sago palms in my front yards, about 2 feet tall. One of them is sprouting two "heads" this spring with two new bunches of new leaves out of the center instead of one. I would like to keep it to just one so it stays symmetric and clean-cut, Ive seen some that get really out of control.

Can I just cut one off? I tried that last year, but two heads are growing again.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-06, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by jkh772
I have some sago palms in my front yards, about 2 feet tall. One of them is sprouting two "heads" this spring with two new bunches of new leaves out of the center instead of one. I would like to keep it to just one so it stays symmetric and clean-cut, Ive seen some that get really out of control.

Can I just cut one off? I tried that last year, but two heads are growing again.

Thanks.

just cut off any unwanted growth at bottom of palm and that's it.

Old 04-25-06, 08:46 PM
Remove the new pups with a hand trowel to pop off from the trunk side. Sometimes these are difficult to remove and may require a shovel to pry off large ones from base of plant. Remove all the pups leaves and roots and set aside for a couple weeks to dry. Then plant in well-drained soil so that half the ball or trunk is below soil and water. Start in shade. Roots will grow and then leaves appear several months later. When leaves appear, fertilize. Water when nearly dry. When roots are well established, you have a new palm to transplant to your landscape.

Old 04-26-06, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the info. I actually have a pup growing from the top, so I have two new leaf bud groups (or whatever you call them) coming from the middle. Is there anything I can do so that there will only be one?

Thanks.

Old 04-27-06, 10:19 AM
Contact a local nursery that sells sago palms. One would tend to think that removing the pup would solve your problem. There is usually just one main terminal bud.