Hardening-off for Transplanting

Old 05-13-06, 03:53 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hardening-off for Transplanting

I've decided to start from seed this year, and tried to plant some peas without hardening them off (as I later learned). I don't mind experimenting, so didn't put all my peas indoors to start with; however, the indoor transplants were mostly unsuccessful, but some may yet be saved.

I now have a whole slew of veggies that will be going out in a couple of weeks. Any suggestions on the best manner of hardening off for transplanting would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-06, 08:04 PM
T
Transplants will encounter wind, sun, decreased moisture, and other events that they are not used to. You can begin to provide them with some very gentle air movement with an electric fan. No fan. Fan them two or three times a day with a piece of paper. Keep an eye on moisture as air dries out the soil. When they are larger and stronger, run your hand across them to introduce greater movement.

A couple weeks out from transplanting begin to reduce water a little. You do not want plants to wilt, but the soil needs to start drying out a little.

About a week before transplant day, begin moving plants outdoors to a shaded place early in the morning and bring indoors in the early afternoon. Avoid placing where they will receive direct wind. After two or three days you can leave out all day. By the end of the week, you can leave out over night. Water as needed. After about 1 1/2 weeks you are good to go for transplanting to properly prepared soil preferably on a cloudy day or have shade ready (cheese cloth) for a few days. Continue to water as needed. Fertilize after several days.

Old 05-20-06, 09:56 PM
S
Wow! Such clear and concise instructions! Thank you so much. :-)