Dirt

Old 06-27-06, 12:49 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dirt

I'am Starting A Small Garden And I Need To Put Some Dirt In It. Which Is Better To Use Black Dirt Or Topsoil?? Thanks

Old 06-27-06, 01:33 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cen61703
I'am Starting A Small Garden And I Need To Put Some Dirt In It. Which Is Better To Use Black Dirt Or Topsoil?? Thanks
Topsoil is very sandy and isn't really garden material.

_Generally_ speaking, the darker the soil, the better stuff will grow in it.

Old 06-27-06, 09:04 PM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Cen,

Good advice from Pendragon, but I would love to know what is in the black soil.

If the black soil already has compost in it then I would say it's probably ok to use it, but I would want to know how much compost is in it and if the compost is sludge. I wouldn't recommend slude or sludge enhanced soil for a veggie garden.

I am wondering why you need to add soil. Are you building a raised bed? If you are, then I always recommend a combination of 60% SCREENED topsoil and 40% compost. If the topsoil isn't screened it could contain debris. Another problem with adding topsoil is bringing in weed seeds. Compost heats up when it decomposes and most weed seeds are destroyed in the process.

If you are just going to make a garden bed then I would recommend that you just add 3" to 4" of aged compost and mix it into the soil. The compost will add nutrients, micro-organisms and improve the texture and water holding ability of the soil.

Newt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: