Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

dirt with concrete debris- safe for veggies?

Old 06-29-06, 11:15 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a pile of dirt that I was going to use for some reaised beds I am building. but the contractor at my house added some dirt from the basement that we are working on. there are some baseball sized chunks of concrete that I can remove, but there is also a lot of concrete dust in the dirt he added. is this safe to grow vegetables in? or should I try to get rid of all the dirt he added to the pile?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-06, 11:25 AM

Concrete is made from water, sand, rock and cement. Cement is made from ground limestone, clay and gypsum. - Nothing scarry.

The dust is probably just the finely crushed concrete and should not cause a problem if the larger concrete pieces that interfere with working the soil are removed.

How knows what the dirt is made up of.

I would check the soil for acidity/alkakinity since the limestone based materials could make the soil slightly alkaline. This can be remedied quiete easily.

Dick

Old 06-30-06, 11:50 AM
N
You should also consider a soil test to see what nutrients might be missing as well. Sounds like what the builder added could be subsoil and not have the nutrients needed for good plant growth. Of course adding lots of compost to the soil will help.

Newt