Aphids on potato vines

Old 07-07-06, 07:28 PM
Aphids on potato vines

I found aphids on my potato vines today. There is a white substance at a lot of the limbs where they meet the plant trunk. I have sevin dust can i use it in this application? What about treating the soil also.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-06, 08:06 PM
Hi Bill,

I'm not one to use something as potent as Sevin, especially on something I am going to eat. It is one of the most potent insecticides and will also kill bees and other beneficial insects. You could use insecticidal soap on aphids. I suspect the white substance you are seeing is mealy bugs. Take a look at this site for id of the aphids and mealy bugs. You'll find the mealy bugs under 'scales'.
http://woodypest.ifas.ufl.edu/insect.htm

You can make your own insecticidal soap.
http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/outdoors/194

Newt

Old 07-11-06, 06:28 PM
I appreciate your concern here however i was just using the product that was used on my familys farm. Guess I'm from the old School. Sevin was used widely on the farm that I know of for over 40 years. It is the 5 percent not 10. Didn't know it was that lethal.

Thanks for the sites!

Old 07-11-06, 08:28 PM
Bill, you are so very welcome! When I read some of this stuff I feel I need to share what I know. There's lots of info here, but here's some snippets.
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles...baryl-ext.html

ACUTE TOXICITY
Carbaryl is moderately to very toxic, and is labeled with a WARNING signal word. It can produce adverse effects in humans by skin contact, inhalation or ingestion. The symptoms of acute toxicity are typical of the other carbamates. Direct contact of the skin or eyes with moderate levels of this pesticide can cause burns. Inhalation or ingestion of very large amounts can be toxic to the nervous and respiratory systems resulting in nausea, stomach cramps, diarrhea and excessive salivation. Other symptoms at high doses include sweating, blurring of vision, incoordination, and convulsions. About fifty cases of occupational or accidental illnesses due to exposure to carbaryl have been reported, but no fatalities have been documented. The only documented fatality from carbaryl was through intentional ingestion.
CHRONIC TOXICITY
Athough it may cause minor skin and eye irritation, carbaryl does not appear to be a significant chronic health risk at or below occupational levels. Male volunteers who consumed low doses of carbaryl for six weeks did not show symptoms, but tests indicated slight changes in their body chemistry (12).
I wonder what those 'slight' changes in body chemistry were. To me 'body chemistry' means something like hormones.

Mutagenic Effects
Numerous studies indicate that carbaryl poses only a slight mutagenic risk (8, 12). However, carbaryl can react with nitrite under certain conditions to give rise to N-nitrosocarbaryl. Nitrosocarbaryl has been shown to be highly mutagenic at low levels in laboratory test systems. This may be a concern to humans because there is a possibility that carbaryl, a pesticide, and nitrite, a substance found in food additives and in human saliva, may react in the human stomach to form nitrosocarbaryl (2, 8). Carbaryl has been shown to affect cell mitosis (cell division) and chromosomes in rats (13).
Nitrates are in all deli and hot dogs and more...

Fate in Humans and Animals
Most animals, including humans, readily break down carbaryl and rapidly excrete it in the urine and feces. Workers occupationally exposed by inhalation to carbaryl dust excreted 74% of the inhaled dose in the urine in the form of a breakdown product (13). This is consistent with information on other species which excreted nearly three quarters of a dose in their urine within 24 hours of administration (14). The metabolism of up to 85% of carbaryl occurs within 24 hours after administration (13).
So where did the other 26% go? Did it go anywhere?

ECOLOGICAL EFFECTS
Carbaryl is lethal to many nontarget insects. The pesticide is more active in insects than in mammals. The destruction of honeybee populations in sprayed areas is sometimes a problem. Carbaryl is moderately toxic to aquatic organisms, such as rainbow and lake trout, bluegill, and cutthroat. It is also moderately toxic to wild bird species, with low toxicity to Canada geese (12).

Accumulation of carbaryl can occur in catfish, crawfish, and snails, as well as in algae and duckweed. Residue levels in fish were 140 fold greater than the concentration of carbaryl in water. In general, due to its rapid metabolism and rapid degradation, carbaryl should not pose a significant bioaccumulation risk in alkaline waters. However, under conditions below neutrality it may be significant (14).
Bees are struggling now and are our major pollinators. Toxins become more potent as they move up the food chain, so the fish we eat will have a higher concentration then the algae the fish ate and so on. It all adds up in my opinion.

There's more, but I'll let you read it and decide for yourself. I just share what I find because I care.

Newt

Old 07-12-06, 06:07 AM
Originally Posted by Curious Homeowner
Sevin was used widely on the farm that I know of for over 40 years.
That don't make it good.

Aphids are pretty easy to control with insecticidal soap and its pretty cheap.