Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Need Houseplant Help! Where? (Scale Insects)

Need Houseplant Help! Where? (Scale Insects)


Old 07-23-06, 10:31 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 329
Need Houseplant Help! Where? (Scale Insects)

I have a schefflera houseplant that has clear sticky stuff hanging on some leaves. These leaves are curling up and have little brown spots attached to the leaves.

Don't know if this is an insect infestation or a disease.

Is there anywhere on this site to get help?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-06, 01:14 PM
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Taylors, SC
Posts: 9,483
Look closely at the undersides of the leaves for small, spider-like creatures. See any?
Old 07-23-06, 07:19 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 329
All I see is oval brown things and the sticky stuff that seems to drip.

I finally found something about scales? (an insect)

I cut off a lot of the leaves that were heavily infested and then mixed liquid hand soap, water and rubbing alcohol together and squirted it all over the plant.

Never had any diseases or insects on houseplants.
Old 07-24-06, 08:14 PM
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 15,834
Isolate houseplant from others to prevent spread of scale insects. An insecticide spray for houseplants can be used to spray both the plant and the soil surface. Because waxy shells on scale insects are impervious to insecticides, you will need to mix in some liquid soap to help insecticide penetrate beneath shells. Spray both sides of leaves and stems. If plant is heavily infested or badly damaged, it is often best to dispose of it.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes