how do you safely kill a locust bush?

Old 07-30-06, 09:32 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how do you safely kill a locust bush?

I have a locust bush that is over running my lawn. I cut it off and it is comming back so what can do to kill it so it doesn't grow back? I am going to rent a stump grinder later in the year, but have to wait until I get a few more trees down. In the meantime I want something I can spray on this thing to put an end to its rampage.

Old 07-30-06, 10:00 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You could try painting the stubs from where you cut off the limbs. This should seal them from growing. Not sure what the burning rules are where you live. When I had Palmetto trees in Florida, I cut them down, dug a trench around the stump, threw on a few large pieces of scrap wood and burnt the stump. Good luck.

Old 07-30-06, 07:45 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Cut down bush to remove. Paint cuts immediately with brush killer, a herbicide which will be taken into fresh wounds and kill roots.

Old 07-31-06, 03:58 AM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not sure what a locust bush is, but if it's related to the honeylocust tree I can tell you that it takes 3 to 4 years before the underground roots give up. Been there!

Newt

Old 08-01-06, 05:47 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
When you cut immediatley paint the fresh stump with a glyphosate concentrate. This is the concentrated syrup you use to make weed killer like Roundup, Glyfos, Rodeo...

A couple things to keep in mind:

Use the concentrate syrup since it is much, much stronger than ready to use weed killer (bottle with a sprayer on top for example) and even a few tablespoons can kill a large root system.

Paint the stump immediatley after cutting. The plant will suck in the poison right after it is cut. After cutting the plant will start to heal the wound and seal off the area and it will not absorb the poison.

Be careful painting shoots coming up from the ground if you do NOT want to kill the parent tree. I cut some small sweet gum shoots and painted the little stumps and killed the full sized tree a few feet away (they shared the same root system).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: