Lemon tree leaves curling

Old 08-31-06, 09:49 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lemon tree leaves curling

My lemon tree in the back yard looks like it is being attacked. The leaves have started curling and have a white substance on them. i was told it was because they were getting too much water.
The lemon tree was planted in the lawn, but I have since taken the grass out of that area and put in a garden. The rest of the lawn was just sodded so i had to keep it moist. Consequently the tree received more water than usual.
A little background, the tree is about 8 years old, about 5 feet in height, and 6 feet in diameter.
Before I sodded the lawn, i did put round up on the existing lawn. Not too close to the tree and not a lot of round up.

The tree still had blooms and is producing fruit. Some leaves had fallen off but not any more than usual.

Any help would be appreciatted.

Old 08-31-06, 11:52 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It's likely powdery mildew. Planting in sunny area where there is good air circulation and not overfertilizing tends to be best. Slow release fertilizer is best. Mildew spores are airborne. Moisture and humidity conditions can contribute to powdery mildew. Watering in morning or early afternoon is best so leaves have time to dry off before evening. Susceptible fruit trees should be treated with fungicide to protect. Tree should be watered deep about once every 7-10 days and less often if it rains or weather turns cool. Mulching conserves moisture.

It is best to plant plants that have similar needs in the same area. Some plants require more moisture than others and have different soil and sun requirements. If you have created a gardening area around the tree and that area demands more moisture than the tree, you may want to separate the tree by establishing a bed around it where you can place plants with similar requirements.

Old 08-31-06, 05:03 PM
N
You can use milk to treat powdery mildew.
http://www.backyardgardener.com/tv/mildew.html
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s948323.htm

Newt

Old 08-31-06, 06:36 PM
L
Could it possibly be an insect problem or maybe lack of fertalizer. i haven't fert. in at least a year. What do you recommend for fert.

Old 08-31-06, 06:39 PM
N
Sorry, I thought you had powdery mildew. Yes, curled and crinkled leaves can come from citrus leaf miner or aphids.
http://monroe.ifas.ufl.edu/faq_citrus.htm

Use a fertilizer specific for citrus.

Newt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: