Flowering cherry leaves browning/falling

Old 08-22-06, 05:10 AM
Group Moderator
Flowering cherry leaves browning/falling

Okay. Planted this nice little flowering cherry tree last year. It is now about 6 feet tall. Seems to be doing okay, but since this spring the leaves have been constantly turning brown and falling off. Doesn't happen all at once; a new leaf will open and grow to full size and then the very tip will start to turn brown followed by the remainder of the edges and finally the whole leaf. After which it falls off. Very puzzling. The tree doesn't seem to be in any distress as the new leaves keep sprouting.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-06, 02:38 PM
Hey tow guy...no pro but I've been trying to do some reading and here's what I found that might help ya out:

http://plant-disease.ippc.orst.edu/d...m?RecordID=307

I really hope this is not the case though.

Old 08-24-06, 08:00 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for link, DIY; doesn't appear to be it. The symptoms are somehwat different, ditto for the climate stuff. WIll have to do some research; haven't tried treating with anything yet not really knowing what it might be.

Old 08-24-06, 09:09 AM
Sorry, that was no help. I did realize after searching and searching, there are so many different types of flowering cherry tree. You might want to considering searching on what type of soil they require.

Old 08-26-06, 01:43 PM
Group Moderator
Best I could find was "leaf scorch"; several possible causes. I'm inclined to let it ride and see if it clears up.

Old 08-31-06, 05:00 PM
Hi Tow Guy,

Most ornamental cherries grow to zone 9. SW Florida can be zone 10 and it might be too warm where you are. Do you know which variety of cherry you have? How about your hardiness zone? Do you know what it is?

My other thought is that it might be planted too deep. Take a look to see that the rootflare isn't buried.
http://www.tlcfortrees.info/planting%20depth.htm

Newt

Old 09-01-06, 04:33 AM
Group Moderator
"Pink flowering cherry - prunus serrulata". We're 9/10-ish. Planting depth okay; I'm always careful of that when planting. No change of late, still same symptoms. I'm thinking your right on the zone and that this particular species isn't tolerating the weather.

Old 09-01-06, 10:41 AM
Tow Guy, it could be the zone. Check for scales, spider mites and borers. They are a bit salt tolerant, but if you are near the coast that could also be a problem if there is salt spray or high to moderate salt content in the soil. Here's info on your tree that might be helpful.
http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/trees/PRUSERB.pdf

Newt