Caring for a kaffir lily

Old 08-22-06, 04:32 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Caring for a kaffir lily

I recently planted a few kaffir lilies under and eve in my from garden. This location gets on partial (very partial) afternoon sun. After planting some of the straps (leaves) have started turning an off white color instead of the deep green color.
What can I do. I have been keeping them watered as much as possible. Could it just be a little transplant shock? Any help would be appreciatted.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-23-06, 07:20 AM
N
As per this Australian site with lots of other info you should read:
http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/199..._shrubs?p=2453

"In warmer climates plants will become bleached and stressed if grown in full sun and allowed to dry out."

I suspect your plants may have been stressed. They like the soil moist when in active growth, not wet. Here's some helpful info.
http://www.gaygardener.com/gardenspo...bulbs026.phtml

Newt

Old 08-23-06, 01:51 PM
L
Thanks for the info, those were great sites. I think it is getting a little bit too much sun. But this will only last during the hot summer. The eve of my house will cover them during the fall and winter. i will try to keep the soil moist.

What is a good way to make sure you keep the soil moist but not too wet?

Old 08-23-06, 02:19 PM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
One way is to stick your finger down in the soil near it's roots somewhat and if it feels like a wet brownie, it's too wet. If it feels like a moist brownie, it's good. Overwatering can cause it to be too wet so check your soil first before watering. Also make sure it has good drainage.

Old 08-25-06, 04:04 PM
L
Under the right conditions, once the plants gets adjusted will the leaves turn to the deep green they started as?

Old 08-25-06, 04:38 PM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Under the right conditions...of course! Just make sure you read up and follow through. Even I am still learning on the plants I have. Things go wrong, but we learn from our mistakes, right? Take it a day at time and watch and care for it. That's about the best you can do. Nothing will happen over night.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: