Melon vines dying

Old 08-25-06, 06:34 PM
M
Received 29 Upvotes on 28 Posts
Melon vines dying

I have watermelon vines dying in our garden. The dying starts at one end of the vine and spreads throughout the plant. As they die the leaves turn brown.

It usually starts with one plant, then spreads to others in the garden including cucumbers and muskmelons.

I have sprayed with Dursban for insects/parasites and today I sprayed with an Ortho disease/fungus chemical to try to save the remaining plants.

We had the same thing happen last year and didn't get anything sprayed before all the plants came down with whatever this is.

Open to all suggestions,

Thanks in advance

Last edited by marbobj; 09-03-06 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-28-06, 09:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I know in part what you are going through. My garden for the past two years has done real well at the first part of the year then seems like all of a sudden the cucumber vines will start to wither away also.

I look and check my garden, I think closely, but guess I'm not the farmer I thought I was.

To answer your question I really dont think I can.
I credit a lot of mine to a very dry and hot summer thus far. I have to blame it on something!

Old 08-28-06, 11:11 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Rotate planting location from year to year in areas of garden where nonrelated plants grow for many crops is essential. It is best not to grow watermelons in the same spot for at least five years. Fusarium wilt survives in the soil, thus it is important to rotate. It is also important to plant disease resistant varieties.

Old 08-31-06, 09:45 AM
M
Thank you both for your responses. These seem to do ok during the first half of the season, then start dying and a month later they are all gone.

Last edited by marbobj; 09-03-06 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-03-06, 10:28 AM
M
Melon vines dying

Just an update:

I had sprayed my melons with an Ortho (Kill 130 Different Diseases) spray. It has seemed to turn the tide on whatever has been killing the vines. The melons are growing and doing well, and the leaves have stopped turning brown.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: