Growing peanuts

Old 08-28-06, 09:07 PM
Growing peanuts

Does anyone know how to grow peanuts in a small garden. I remember my grandfather growing them but I was just a small child then and dont remember the particulars.

Just wondering, I want to try this next spring.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-06, 12:35 AM
Your success with growing peanuts will depend on where you live, your soil, and the variety of peanut selected. Peanuts prefer warmer climate where they have at least four months without frost. Peanuts prefer loose soil. If you have ever driven through peanut country in Virginia, the soil is loose and rather sandy. They will not succeed in clay soil. There are certain varieties that do better in home gardens than others. In Virginia peanut country, local vendors sell the Jumbo Virginia peanuts.

Plant seeds an inch or slightly deeper in soil about 6-8 inches apart. You will need to know the growth habit of the variety of peanut you plant. If their growth pattern is in a bunch, you space rows about 2 feet apart. If they are a runner type, you place the rows about 3 feet apart.

The thing we learned from George Washington Carver was that this legume blooms above the soil and a peg curves down and penetrates the soil where the peanuts develop and grow. When the pegs penetrate the soil, you must stop hoeing close to the plants in order not to disturb the plants. Hand pull weeds.

At the end of summer, the leaves start to yellow. This is when you lift the plants with a garden fork, shake off dirt, and place plants in a dry shed or other area to dry. After a couple of weeks you can shake plants again and harvest the peanuts. Air dry nuts for a couple of weeks. If your crop is not too large, you can place nuts on an old sheet and lay out in the sun on the driveway. (This is also a good way to dry beans and onions.)

You will want to keep an eye out for mice and other rodents while plants and nuts are drying. Placing peanuts or vegetables to dry on an old screen door or window screens on saw horses in the sun allows for good air circulation and keeps them out of the way of rodents.

Start saving your mesh bags in which onions and potatoes come. Mesh bags are best for storing peanuts until you roast them because of air circulation. Hang bags in dry-well ventilated area until then.

My father once shared a story about hiding overnight in a loft of peanut 'hay' where he dined on raw peanuts he pulled from plants. Of course, he reported that he got a belly ache.