Part Sun Part Shade

Old 09-03-06, 11:11 AM
Part Sun Part Shade

I have a garden located on the south side of my house (to the left of the front door). It is under an eight foot roof eve and gets afternoon sun. Impatients love is here but i can't get anything larger to grow there.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what would grow well there.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-06, 12:51 PM
Are you growing 'sunshine' impatiens (New Guinea)? They are tolerant of sunshine. The standard impatiens loves shade.

There are many plants that tolerate afternoon sun. You will want plants that can tolerate the brutal afternoon heat and sun. You will need to check your plant tags at the nursey. You will see plants labeled 'shade,' 'part shade,' 'sun.' You can also study plant and seed catalogs which usually tell you what light requirements are needed for plants. You can also observe what sun-loving plants thrive in your area. You can check out native species at the Shipley Nature Center there. Your local Cooperative Extension Service should be able to provide you a list of annuals and perennials that do well in your area and growing conditions. Your Growing Zone for Huntington Beach, CA, is 9b-10b. Rudbeckia, Iris, Daylilies, Russian Sage, and Salvia are just a few to whet your appetite.